Saturday, September 20, 2008

?Another Typical Saturday!

One of the blessings of the internet is that I can share part of my day with you. But the greater blessing is I am able to vicariously share your lives and that of my loved ones through the pages of your blogs while I am gone. Thank you.


What a wonderful creature. We can all learn from him: if we only take our time and are persistant.
On my way back from the fruit market I spied this creature slowly slithering across the walk and thought to myself, Evelyn would find this interesting. And then I considered how Theo might react. Boy what fun. I later saw that Thing - 2 (daughter -2) had posted a five legged cricket on her site and wondered if it was her or Theo who had attacked it.


Addition to my Greek Diet While at the market several days ago, Arthur had indicated how he liked oatmeal and had shared a package with the housekeeper at the gym. I picked up a package and enjoyed some that very evening. It remindered me of breakfast as a child and the big pot of oatmeal Mom Boyett cooked up along the the fried eggs (which Mary would swallow whole), toast and hot chocolate. Some great memories.

The fridge is always a delight.
Guess what was just purchased from the fruit market and what has been here for a few days. The fruit market is not too expensive; a mellon ($6.90), 4 Nectorines ($4.40), 5 carots ($1.20), and a bunch of grapes ($3.60). I converted to dollars from Euros at a rate of 1.5:1. Oh, yes, I also went to the meat market to pickup four hamburger patties ($9.00) and four pork chops ($11.50).

Shopping on one trip when walking is not too easy with my shoulders. Which reminds me of walking home in Arcata when I was living with the Hopkins during my college years. I would not want to make two trips so I loaded my arms down like a pack animal and would start out from the store. The closer I got to my desitination the worse the pain in my elbows would become. Frequently, I would have to stop and put the items down and rest. Boy have I grown; I am willing to make several trips to save my body a little. Well at least when shoping. This all leads to the next picture of the stuff I picked up an hour later at the super market. I included some items from my mid week trip to the fruit market (potatoes, bannanas, onion & garlick).
Half of the eggs ($3.00 for ten) have already been boiled and two consumed. Yes, the oat meal ($3.00 each) was such a hit that there are now two more packages in my cupboard. Don't want to run out of memories. Milk ($2.10/ltr), 2 bottles of Coca Cola Light ($4.50 for the pair), brown sugar ($3.60) for the oatmeal, and the cookies ($1.70) rounded out this trip.


Laurie's love plant: given to her when she came to Greece for an extended 2 month stay. It was great to spend some quality time with my wife. And yes, it was fun to have Debbie visit. I know that Laurie also enjoyed her companionship as the explored. What happened to the rest of your plans to visit. Oh babies. Maybe that's why Lalee went back home. I guess I just can't compete. John, save up your pennies or dollars if you want to make it sooner.
Can any of you identify the plant? Yes, that is a bottle of hot sauce. Did you think that being in Athens would change my diet all that much?


This one is for you, Laurie. Will you now stop complaining that I never post any pictures of myself.
I had to throw the camera away afterwards and the photo shop threatened to call the police. It took me several hours of pleading to convience them to let me have the picture. This is the absolutly the last time I will take a picture in the bathroom. Please note the shirt.

The bus I take to church.
Ridding it reminds me of the movie about a special needs girl/women who road the bus everywhere. Were I as brave as she, I might be out exploring a little more on my own. But there is also something to be said about working hard during the week and then relaxing easy on the weekends.
Well you have now seen some of my exsistance over here. It's great! And I do get to explore when folks come to visit because, because it is the thing to do and I will have earned it.
It would be fun to have a motorcycle over here. Does anyone think they could persuade Bill to send his over? (See past post). Thanks, Bill for the Sterges Ride tee shirt. I met someone over here who knew all about it.
Ya all have fun ya hear; but don't do noth'n stupid.
Old Man, at it again.






3 comments:

Josh & Teddie said...

I must admit, Im impressed with teh post! Quite a bit of info in it. Just for your info, THeo got the cricket not me! He would have had a blast with teh snail. We saw one on a walk the other day (not quite as big as yours) and he was enthralled!

Deb Kaz said...

Ted - you are a techie (sp?)! Great blog! Now I know why you're so svelte - the price of food! I'm sure you're lighthearted with the good news from Wisconsin - thrilled for Jesse and family. Keep eating the oatmeal - your heart will thank you (and so will your wife). Miss you and Laurie.

LaLee said...

Thank you for the photo of yourself in the very bright bathroom. Looks like you had another haircut... Did the rest of you notice the view out the window on the shot with food? That's part of the view from the kitchen window. Miss you, Dad.